May 9, 2008

The Man and The Mom Storm Europe

As long as I can remember dreaming of my ideal vacation, it's always been to London and Paris. And a couple of months ago The Man made my dreams come true :) Even better, he agreed to go without kicking and screaming that this vacation wouldn't include lounging on the beach and snorkeling until his hands were like raisins.

And best of all, he had just as good of a time in Europe as I did! He's been to England a few times before, when he was younger, and mostly remembered the pain of traveling from one distant location to the next. This time, however, we were both mesmerized by all the architecture and rich history - definitely feeling like all the travel time was worth it ten times over.

Since The Man and I both love history, almost every place we went added immensely to our understanding and further enjoyment of what we've learned of times past. It also made us twice as hungry to learn about the people who lived then and the events they were a part of. This world is a really, really BIG place, and even though England and France don't have completly different cultural norms than we do in the US, I still felt like so much was totally foreign. I can't imagine how I'd feel somewhere like India or China. Strangely enough, I even felt more of a culture shock in England - where I speak the same language - than I have when I've gone to Mexico.

I LOVED IT!!

A few people have asked me to tell them about our trip, so I'll do it here so I can post pictures along with my narrative :) Also, this will help me remember my trip better a few years down the road - so excuse any details that might seem self-indulgent, because they are :) I want to remember EVERYTHING!

And, yes, I took that stunning picture of the Eiffel Tower myself. The night was absolutely perfect for such a shot!

No comments: